Vybz Kartel appeals to individuals to stop threaten journalists


Convicted entertainer Vybz Kartel issued a statement yesterday appealing to individuals to stop threatening journalists for their coverage of his murder case and post-trial reporting.


Yesterday, Flying Squad detectives interviewed journalists Karyl Walker of the Jamaica Observer and Nationwide News Network's Abka Fitz-Henley whose lives have been threatened.


In a statement the Police High Command said yesterday that it had received information that members of the media were being targeted and threatened by unscru-pulous individuals for their coverage and report on the Kartel murder case and about an article which recently appeared in a newspaper.


death threats


Meanwhile, the Press Association of Jamaica yesterday registered its concern over the reports that death threats have been levelled against the two journalists.


Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, in responding to media reports that persons, including journalists, were being threatened, said he had no ill-will towards anyone involved in his trial.


He said in a signed statement that was circulated by his lawyer, Tom Tavares-Finson, that it was brought to his attention yesterday by a member of his team that journalists and others had reported receiving threats from persons purportedly acting on his behalf.


"During my sentencing hearing, my attorney, Tom Tavares-Finson, indicated to the court that I hold no ill-will to any of the persons involved in my trial neither the police, prosecutors, executives from Digicel, and certainly not any member of the media who covered my trial in a manner which exposed the weaknesses in the prosecution's case for all the world to see."


"I reiterate the position that I have no ill-will toward anyone who was involved in my trial and I put my faith in the judicial system and the appeal process on which we have now embarked.


"In the meantime, I thank my family, friends and fans who continue to support, and have faith in me."


Kartel, 38, and fellow convicts Shawn Campbell, also called 'Shawn Storm', Kahira Jones and André St John were convicted in March of the murder of Clive 'Lizard' Williams, of Waterford, St Catherine. Williams was beaten to death on August 16, 2011 at Kartel's Havendale, St Andrew, house over two missing guns.



No comments:

Post a Comment