'RUM MADE ME POSE AS COP'


Man tells court that he was drunk when he committed crime


A man who claimed that it was intoxication which led him to impersonate an officer of the law was fined $2000 when he appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court on Friday.


Twenty-one-year-old Dane Anglin admitted to Senior Resident Magistrate Judith Pusey that he was guilty of the offence, but could provide an explanation.


"I'm cognisant of the fact that ignorance is not a good excuse, but I was under a state of intoxication, in which I was approached by an officer, and I declared myself as an officer to the officer, and they locked me up ... . I want to apologise to the officers for making a mockery of the job."


same offence


After his speech, the Senior Magistrate asked the accused, "what were you drinking?" to which he responded, "white rum and boom, ma'am," which caused laughter to erupt in the courtroom.


R.M. Pusey told the accused that she was not going to imprison him, but warned that if he should reappear for the same offence, he won't be as fortunate.


"I'm not going to send you to prison for it, but if you come down here again for it, I'm going to lock you up, if you had locked up people or done anything else, I would have locked you up, but I am going to charge you the maximum fine.


Anglin was fined $2000 or spend 30 days in prison.



No comments:

Post a Comment