Accused swindler remanded


A woman who allegedly swindled a total of $48,000 from several persons after claiming she could obtain jobs on their behalf was remanded in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court last Friday.


Thirty-one-year-old Camille Townsend-Mandalay from Vineyard Town, Kingston 3, who is charged with fraudulent conversion, was remanded because the presiding judge was not pleased with her body language during one of the complainant's statement after she revealed she was threatened by the accused.


The complainant told Senior Resident Magistrate Judith Pusey, "I saw her on the road and asked her about my money and she told me that I mustn't forget that she knows where I live. I moved out of my house and moved in with my mother because I felt threatened."


Body language


While the complainant was speaking to the senior magistrate, the accused was looking at her in a manner that did not sit well with RM Pusey.


The accused's attorney tried to dissuade the judge from remanding his client, but she held her ground. "I remanded her into custody because of her body language and because of what she said to the witness, that she knows where the witness lives and that's a clear threat," the RM said.


A total of 15 complainants turned up in court last Friday after they were allegedly swindled of $1,500 to $5,500 by the accused when she placed an advertisement in the press earlier this year, stating that her company, The Employees Financial Services, could provide jobs for them.


She reportedly requested that they pay for the purchasing of company T-shirts and identification cards, but when the jobs were not forthcoming and she did not provide refunds, the police were called in. She returns to court on January 15.



No comments:

Post a Comment