Bicycle thief gets suspended sentence


A man who admitted to stealing a bicycle from the Duhaney Park Police Station was given a suspended sentence in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court last Thursday.


Emelio Amos has been sentenced to three months at hard labour suspended for one year.


The accused, who said he was guilty with explanation, stated that he worked on the compound of the police station and he had noticed the bicycle lying around unattended.


"The bicycle was on the compound since last year - a very long time - and some school kids were troubling it and wanted to ride it, so I fix it up. I told the police dat I have the bicycle at my home, it's not dat I thief it because I have it," Amos told the court.


Resident Magistrate Simone Wolfe-Reece said that even though Amos pleaded guilty, she wasn't convinced that the accused understood that he should not have removed the bicycle.



No comments:

Post a Comment