Man on assault rap gets bail again


A man who told the court his reason for missing his previously scheduled court date was because the police threatened him was granted bail for a second time when he appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's court yesterday.


Charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and resisting arrest is 48-year-old Choen Rhooms of a Red Hills, St Andrew, address.


It is alleged that earlier this year, the accused was driving along Upper Elletson Road when he set down passengers, causing an obstruction. He was reportedly signaled by the police to stop; however, he allegedly drove off in a reckless manner in an effort to evade the police.


sustain injuries


A chase ensued, and the officers eventually caught up to him on Campden Road, when stopped. He allegedly shoved the officer causing him to trip and sustain injuries to his knees.


Rhooms, who pleaded not guilty to the allegations, stated that he was assaulted and threatened by the officers, hence, his reason for not turning up to court.


"I was beaten by the police officer, I got eight stitches. I didn't turn up to court because I was threatened to not come court. They said I better plea guilty or they have something in store for me. I don't want my family in danger."


Senior Resident Magistrate Judith Pusey advised Rhooms to seek legal counsel and was offered bail in the sum of $35,000.


He is to return to court on September 23.



No comments:

Post a Comment