Jamaican cops robbed me


Visitor to the island accuses police


Chad Bryan, Staff Reporter


A Jamaican living in the United States is accusing the police of taking money from him during his recent visit to the island a few weeks ago.


According to the man, he had just landed at the Norman Manley International Airport and, while passing Caribbean Cement Company, was ordered to stop by the police.


"I noticed in my rear-view mirror flashing lights, so I pulled over, and they came up to my door and the door of my friend," he said.


The man said he proceeded to enquire of the police what he could do for them, and they responded that they were conducting random checks. The man claimed that the police ordered them out of the car and asked him if he had anything to declare.


"I told them no. I told them I just came into the island," he said.


It was at this point, the man claimed, that he was ordered to take his suitcase from the vehicle. He said he took out the suitcase and placed it on the side of the road, but was given further instructions by the lawmen to put it in the pickup they were driving.


pulled a gun


The gentleman said that he refused. He further claims that the police took the suitcase and put it in the pickup and took the car keys from him and placed him, along with his female friend, in their vehicle.


According to the man, the cops drove around with him and his friend before taking them to a street unfamiliar to him.


"The driver said take your this and that out the car. I thought he was joking. The driver pulled a gun on me. I held onto my jacket," the gentleman explained.


The man said more ill-treatment from the lawmen continued before his suitcase was rummaged.


He claimed that relief came when a broadcast came through the police radio that there was a shoot-out in downtown, which caused the lawmen to leave them.


However, the lawmen are said to have relieved the man and his friend of $US40 each.


The victim told THE STAR that he reported the incident to an Inspector of police and was scheduled to attend an identification parade but was unable to attend because the documents were not prepared and he had to leave the island.


The inspector of police, when contacted by THE STAR, confirmed that he was familiar with incident and stated that an investigation will be conducted into the matter. He also added that the lawmen had acted unprofessionally.



No comments:

Post a Comment